Suffering from headaches?
Updated: Sep 27
Struggling with headaches? Tired of taking meds with no relief? Do you have to take more meds to get rid of the side effects from the other meds? Frustrated your physician’s treatment is just to prescribe different meds?
Physical therapy has been shown to be an effective treatment for headaches. It’s been proven to decrease or resolve their intensity, frequency and duration. Here at Restorative Therapy Co. we take a look at the whole picture and address the root causes instead of masking the symptoms with meds. We will develop an effective treatment plan that is specific to you.
Effective treatments can include:
1. Regular dry needling to the neck and jaw muscles. Trigger points in these muscles can refer pain to the head and result in tension type headaches. Some of the muscles that may benefit from dry needling and trigger point release include the upper trapezius, suboccipitals, sternocleidomastoid, levator scapulae and masseters.
2. Suboccipital release. We can perform this in the clinic and teach you how to perform a self release at home.
3. Upper cervical joint manipulation
4. Improve your sleep. Sleep deprivation can cause headaches due to decreased neural plasticity in the brain. This means your brain does not have enough time to rest and repair itself, leading to less regulated neural pathways and ultimately headaches.
5. Regular exercise (let’s get moving!)
6. Vitamin B12 and B2. Research shows daily intake of these vitamins for 3 months significantly decreased pain associated with headaches and migraines as well as decreased the frequency and duration of episodes. B2 (riboflavin) plays an important role in metabolism of food to produce energy and energy production within the mitochondria of the brain. Vitamin B12 aids in red blood cell production to boost our immune system and plays a role in metabolizing out food into glucose for energy.
7. Postural re-education. Do you sit at a computer all day? How are your workplace ergonomics?
If you want lasting relief from your headaches, a full evaluation is always recommended. Our physical therapists can develop an individualized program, including manual treatments, full kinetic chain strengthening, dry needling, and further ergonomic recommendations. Call 757-578-2958 or visit our website to book a PT appointment and let Restorative Therapy Co. help you Feel Well and Be Well!
Contributed By Dr. Britni Maher, PT, DPT, MTC, CMTPT
Restorative Therapy Co.